Wednesday, December 15, 2010

8 faces magazine

What if you could only use 8 typefaces for the rest of your life? This is the question posed by the new magazine, 8 Faces. I can tell you I don't know enough about type yet to make such an important decision, but I would like to find out by getting this magazine. It is beautifully printed and looks like it would awesome to own and refer to regularly. All I have the skills to do is make a list of typefaces I should mostly never use, which I've included here and you can feel free to add to. Maybe one day soon I'll be able to pick my 8 faces...

8 Faces magazine

Typeface no-nos:
Arial
Comic Sans
Papyrus
Times New Roman

Any others? Amy (A Design Dive) just recently posted some typeface dos and don'ts as well so maybe between the two of us, we can attempt a cohesive list!

1 comment:

  1. I might add "Zapfino" to the list, although I must admit I do like Zapfino. My rule of thumb is to disregard any typeface that I have seen on font lists since I was 10 years old.

    Handwriting fonts should ideally be written by hand, unless you come across one of those rare typefaces that use multiple versions for each character. In other words, if you were to type the word "meet" each "e" would be slightly different, just as letters real handwriting are not identical.

    Also Toni, will you you check out my new info-graphic? Here's a direct link.

    ReplyDelete